The PMAESA Council
The Council is the supreme policy making organ of the association and consist of the full members of the Association normally represented by the Head of Delegation of each member elected or in his absence by his delegated representative. The Council adopt its own rules of procedure at its meetings including, but not limited to, rules relating to the time, place and notice of meetings and procedures at voting. The roles of the Council are summarized as follows:
- Determines the policy and sets the general principles and adopt rules and procedures governing the activities of the Association;
- Examines and approves programme of activities of the Secretariat and/or under special circumstances approve by way of ratification such other activities of the Secretariat as sanctioned by the Board of Directors; and,
- Decides on the admission to membership of the Association; and,
- Approves and finalizes the budget and fix the amounts of annual subscriptions of members of the Association.
The PMAESA Board
The Board comprises six (6) members, a Chairman, a Treasurer, a Vice-Chairman, a Second Vice-Chairman and two (2) members, plus the immediate Past Chairman and the Chairman of the Cruise Indian Ocean Association (without voting rights) as an ex-officio member. In addition to the Chairman and the Treasurer, the other members are chosen as follows:
- One from the Western Indian Ocean Islands;
- One from the land-linked countries;
- One from the coastal East Africa; and,
- One from the coastal Southern Africa.
The duties of the Board are as follows:
- Propose to Council candidates for the post of Secretary General;
- Suspend the Secretary General from his functions, if the need arises;
- Decide new admission to the Association and subscription rates of members;
- Approve the Associations’ five year rolling business plan, including a multi-year budget;
- Oversee the work of the Secretariat, including ad-hoc programs funded by external donors;
- Approve proposals for the recruitment of key personnel and budget of the Secretariat;
- Settle any dispute arising from the application of the Associations’ Constitution; and,
- Perform other cognate duties, which may be delegated by the Council.
The PMAESA Technical Committees
The Technical Committees are composed of representative from various member states and do play a major role in the management of the Association. They develop policies on the various issues pertaining to the Secretariat and advise the Board on the implementation of new policies that helps the Association achieve its objectives.
The following are the technical committees:
- Port Operations, Port Security & Safety and Protection of the Marine Environment committee
- Legal committee
- Finance committee
- Communications committee
The PMAESA Secretary General
- The general day to day administration of the Association and its Secretariat
- The regular monitoring, implementation and coordination of the Association’s financial, technical and other activities under the supervision of the Board of Directors
- Promoting cooperation between the Association and international organizations on the one hand and between the Association and Governments on the other hand
- Proposing to the Council, after having sought the Board of Directors approval, the establishment of any subsidiary agency necessary for the achievement of its mission
- Attending, as an adviser all Council and Board of Directors meetings as well as all subsidiary agency meetings to which he/she will also serve as secretary
- The safe-keeping of the Association’s property
The PMAESA Secretariat
The Council established a Permanent Secretariat for the Association which is currently located in Mombasa, hosted by Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) who is a Full Member. The Secretariat is composed of the office of the Secretary General and the Secretariat’ staff that assists the Secretary General in achieving the Associations’ objectives.