September 3, 2020
The north African port makes significant progress in the latest rankings “Lloyd’s List” and “Container Management” published this week and ranks 35th in Africa in 2019 after being ranked 46th in 2018.
The port handled 4.8 million containers in 2019, recording the best progress in the top 50 with a growth of + 38%.
On the African continent, Tanger Med is followed by:
- Port Said (Egypt) 45th (3.86 million containers),
- Durban (South Africa) 71st (2.76 million containers),
- Alexandria (Egypt 90th (1.81 million containers),
- Lomé (Togo) 99th (1.5 million containers),
- Mombasa (Kenya) 106th (1.41 million containers), and
- Lagos (Nigeria) 115th (1.30 million containers).
Only Egypt has ranked two of its ports in this world top 120.
On the international level, Tanger Med succeeded to overtake the port of Panama Canal (Colon), as well as ports of Seattle and Savannah (USA), Felixstowe (UK), Santos (Brazil), Mundra (India), and Vancouver (Canada).